Finished Objects: Baby Cardigans

9 Sep

This week I finished not one, but two baby cardigans! I am actually still working on a third and am formulating yarn/pattern combinations for a fourth, but I couldn’t wait to show these two off.

20130909-123455.jpg

First up, on the left, is the Province Baby Cardigan, a free pattern you can find on Ravelry, designed by Cecily MacDonald. This cardigan was constructed in pieces, and I learned quite a bit about seaming and patience on this one. So many ends to weave in! But I absolutely love how it turned out, especially with the little cabled detail on the front.

The sweater to the right is the Puerperium Cardigan, also on Ravelry, by Kelly Booker. This pattern was much simpler, as it is seamless, and made for a quick knit. It did take me a while to finally sew on all 7 little buttons. This one has no home yet, as it was intended for a little guy who I thought wasn’t due until fall but was actually a summer baby. Being a newborn sweater, he has certainly outgrown it already so I will be casting on a larger size.

Both of these garments were knit with Caron Spa bamboo/acrylic blend yarn. I wanted to use something the new moms could wash easily. It was a splitty yarn, but I got over it because the fabric really is quite soft, and just a bit shiny. They discontinued this yarn so it is on mega sale at the craft store right now….might have to go pick up some more before its gone.

The best part about knitting all these different baby sized sweaters is that each one has been constructed differently. I got to practice a set-in sleeve and raglan sleeves, top done and bottom up, button bands and seaming, all without the huge commitment of a adult size sweater. I currently have two possible Rhinebeck sweaters on the needles, and I feel so much better going forward with those after all this practice.

About these ads

8 Responses to “Finished Objects: Baby Cardigans”

1. BlanketsnBabies September 9, 2013 at 11:10 am #

gorgeous! I adooore the blue one especially…nice effect with the colourful buttons :)

2. HKnits September 9, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

Really beautiful!

3. Mellissa November 24, 2013 at 7:03 pm #

Simply beautiful! I could sent some of my spun wool for you to knit!!

• beccasimplified January 11, 2014 at 12:58 pm #

Thank you, I would love that…you have some lovely handspun :)

• Mellissa January 12, 2014 at 11:44 pm #

You knit most in double knitting yarn?? leave the address, would you like to knit Llama yarn that I spun?? I will post the picture of the yarn!

• beccasimplified January 13, 2014 at 7:22 am #

That sounds lovely, what is your email I will send you my address.

• Mellissa January 15, 2014 at 6:23 pm #

mellissalopez@msn.com

• Mellissa January 12, 2014 at 11:54 pm #

I have some Llama in natural brown color double knit, you spend Llama fiber before? Have colored one but not ready yet!:) Leave the address!